This guidance details the process of how we conduct the video hustings, and acts as an agreement between all parties.
- We will select 5 questions put forward by residents and publish them on this portal. In the absence of new questions, questions will be taken from the bank.
- We will reach out and invite every candidate to take part.
- Candidates will usually have a minimum of 7 days notice to provide a video answer at their leisure.
- We prefer candidates upload answers directly to this portal to provide a clear audit trail. Candidates will
benefit from immediate video receipt & early validation.
- Candidate fast response time is important and priority placement will be given based on the candidates who respond fastest. By default, the fastest person will be first in the video, the second fastest will be displayed last with the remainder falling in natural response time order.
- Once all responses are in, or the closing date passes the responses will be compiled together and then
- Maximum 30 second responses per question with an option to boost to 60 seconds on just two answers.
Breaking these rules may result in your video being trimmed without notice.
- Candidates must represent themselves.
- Candidates who choose not take part will be highlighted to ensure they are fairly represented.
- These rules may change and adapt depending upon circumstance.
To avoid reducing the quality of your presentation, we strongly recommend you:
- Stick to the timing rules! You may feel unfairly edited if you go over the exact time.
- Record in landscape (phone on its side).
- Use good lighting, it really helps the quality of the video. Natural well-lit rooms are best.
- Ensure your background is silent, outside is nice but birds can be louder than you think!
- Do a test recording and ask a friend to review it.
- Position yourself centrally on the video and remain still. Watching a moving phone can be hard for
viewers to watch.
- Record each answer as separate video clips, ideally numbered.
- Do not repeat the question in your response. Focus on the response as though it was just asked to
- Trim the parts of the video where you’re reaching for your stop button.
- Uploading new videos will reset the completion date, and videos cannot be modified after the close date.
The fastest and most efficient way to get your videos to us is by uploading via our portal. This will provide
some extra free immediate sanity checking for you. We will
accept alternative methods but these are usually cumbersome. To upload your videos:
- Sign up for an account with us and sign in.
- Claim your candidate profile by searching for your listed profile and then click "claim" next to it.
- Wait for a notification of approval from us, which should be within 24 hours.
- Visit our main home page and note there should be a splash
screen indicating the profile you own, click on it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to upload your profile photo and videos, and it will indicate what to do next.
- Continue until you see at least two green thumbs up
- If you encounter any issues or need any support at all, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following publication of the final video each candidate will have the opportunity to post a single follow-up to
clarify any points, or signpost appropriate material. This will be displayed by the video itself.
Suggestions for Improvement
We're always open to suggestions for improvement on this process - please contact email@example.com If you have any suggestions.
Good luck, and thanks for taking part! :)